Rides Page: Weekly rides, ride events, and Club Rides
Check the newsletter every month (calendar on p. 2-3 and p. 8) for additions to the rides schedule.
At the beginning of every year, the February Newsletter features the master-schedule for rides and events on p. 4-5.
Presidents' Day Ride
The annual MBBC President’s Day ride starts at Cornwall Park at 10am. We will meet by the shelters near the Meridian entrance at 10am, with the ride leaving at 10:15am. If it’s a nice day we will ride to Lynden and back. If the weather is not so nice, we will do a round trip to Ferndale. Mileage will be 25 or 50 miles, depending on the route. Pace will be moderate to brisk, and snow, ice, or a torrential downpour will cancel. We'll have lunch (barbecue) at Dickey's at the turnaround point in either Ferndale or Lynden, so bring some cash for food! Ride Leader for 2015 is Scott Dorough.
Local Bike Routes
A set of Trail Maps is also available on the City site. Some trails are open to bicycles; make sure to note the Share the Trails Guidelines document.
All are welcome on weekly rides. Read the ride descriptions below and contact the ride leader to determine if the ride is the right level for your ability. Check for seasonal start times and also make sure of the ride schedule in the winter. Some rides go in summer only, many go all year round!
On winter and rainy rides, please do everyone a favor and put fenders on! Also: be careful around corners and watch for icy patches.
Riders under age 18 are asked to contact the ride leader before your first ride. A parent must accompany you to your first ride start to sign a parental consent waiver.
MBBC Weekly Rides
MBBC Weekly Club Rides are led by MBBC Club Ride Leaders, are sponsored and insured by the club, and are open to everyone to check out the ride. We ask after riding your first ride that you decide whether you'd like to continue riding with the club, and if so, please join! See our membership page for more about MBBC membership.
A Hold-Harmless Ride Waiver must be signed prior to participating on an MBBC Club Ride. Club members and first-time guests are covered by League of American Bicyclist's liability policy, carried by the MBBC. View Ride Waiver here.
- During spring/summer/fall the MBBC hosts several weekly rides. These are finished for the winter(darkness has set in!) but check back starting April 2015 for the Monday/Friday No-Name Ride in Lynden, the Tuesday evening Ramp-up ride in north Bellingham, Wednesday evening fast road ride, Thursday evening Up-County ride in Everson/Nooksack.
- Wednesday Group Ride: Moderate to fast pace 16-18 mph, 30 mile distance, meet at 5:30 pm, leave at 5:45 pm from Boundary Bay Brewery at Railroad Avenue. (another, faster group leaves at 6pm and is not affiliated with the MBBC. See that ride listing below.) From late-September through March this is a night trail ride with lights. We're into the Winter Schedule now so make sure to bring a trail-capable bike that is well lit. Re-group at brewery afterward (7:30 pm). Contact: Tim Ryan, t.ryan.2009 at gmail.com.
Sunday mornings The Long Slog Ride starts at 9am from Boulevard Park, near the bike racks behind Woods Coffee. The final "official" 2014 Slog Rides finished in September 2014, but the group maintains an email list to inform each other of impromptu rides on nice days over winter. If you would like to be added to the email list, contact Jennifer. We're a group of slower, yet serious, riders and we go for distance first, speed second. 11-14 mph, various routes. See our 2014 routemaps in the list to the right. Long Slog Routemaps:
August 31, 2014
Woods Ride 8/24
August 17, 2014
August 10, 2014
July 20, 2014
June 29, 2014
June 22, 2014
June 15, 2014
June 8, 2014
June 1, 2014
May 18, 2014
Other Weekly Rides
These are weekly rides not sponsored nor insured by the MBBC, but also open to everyone to try out. For more information, contact ride leaders: names listed under each ride.
- Sunday Fairhaven "Rabbit Ride" has been going on every week of the year since 2011. Start time 8am (8:30 am over winter), Sundays. Starts at Fairhaven Bike & Ski. 32 mile route down Chuckanut and back via Lake Samish. Small groups of similarly-paced riders begin leaving at 8am (8:30 in winter) and faster groups leave every 5 minutes thereafter. Fastest riders will leave about 8:30am. When a faster group passes yours, you have the opportunity to try to jump on a wheel and hang on, or stay with your group. This is intended to be a fitness ride and you're encouraged to push yourself. This ride is organized by John Hauter; check with John to get on the mailing list for updates and ride schedules. For more information, contact John Hauter at Fairhaven Bike. 360-733-4433 or johnh at fairhavenbike.com
- Sunday Edison Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time, weather may cancel in winter. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-527-8638. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Tuesday North-Side Social Ride: starts from Pioneer Park in Ferndale, 30-40 miles, 13-16 mph route varies. 10am start time, may be altered by weather in winter. The route is chosen based on where the riders want to regroup for lunch. To check start time and for other information, contact: Robert Parker, email rmp4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
- Tuesday Hot Laps Ride: 30-40 miles, race pace. Training ride departs from Kulshan Cycles at 6pm to a practice road race course. Summer months only. Check at Kulshan for when the ride will start up every spring.
- Wednesday Workout Ride: leaves at 6pm from parking lot across the street from Boundary Bay Brewery on Railroad. Separates into fast (18+ mph) and very fast (22+ mph) groups, 30 miles. This ride is not affiliated with the MBBC, and goes sporadically in winter. Contact: Tim Ryan, t.ryan.2009 at gmail.com with questions.
- Thursday South-Side Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-527-8638. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Thursday Night Ride (TNR), begins at Fairhaven Bike at 5:15 Thursdays until mid-March. Trail ride up the hills to ride around the fun Padden trails, then back. Lights required, and trail-ready bikes. 360-733-4433 Casey McGee for info.
- Saturday Donut Ride: 25 to 50 miles, race pace, departs from Kulshan Cycles, 7:30 am October through February, and 7 am March through September. Goes to Ferndale and return, or if you wish continue to Birch Bay and return. Get your weekend miles behind you before most people get out of bed on Saturday! This ride has been a Bellingham tradition forever. Every week of the year!!
- Saturday Recumbent Ride: Everyone is welcome to come out and ride with the recumbents - even you upright riders. Second Saturday of the month at 10 am. 14 mile intown course begins at Kulshan Cycles. This is a very relaxed social ride (avg 10 mph) with a lunch stop. An excellent ride for families or people new to cycling: this group likes to meet and mentor new people! All year, but may cancel depending on weather. More Info: Robert Parker, email: rmp-4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
Yearly Special MBBC Club Rides
Independence Day Ride
The annual Independence Day Ride begins at Fairhaven Park at 8:45 am on July 4th (of course!) and is a ride down Chuckanut, Bayview/Edison, and LaConner/Whitney roads to La Conner for lunch. If you eat too much at lunch, you can burn it off by returning via Colony Road then climb up out of Lake Samish.
Watch for details every summer.
Club Challenge-Yourself Ride: Bill's Hills - Every June!
Ride the Hills with Bill! Beginning in 2010, a group of intrepid
morons early-season riders tested how well their overwinter legs did by challenging themselves with this ride.
This is a challenging ride with lots of hills in and around Bellingham. There are 3 loops, each covering 30 - 40 miles with 3000 to 4000 feet of elevation gain per loop.
This ride is the MBBC's way of inviting new people to join the club - by jumping into the deep end! Join or update (renew) your club membership and come on out in June for a day of camaraderie (and jump-start your summer training... if you survive!) Thanks to Bill McCourt for architecting the pain.
Halloween Costume Ride
MBBC Halloween Costume Ride and Pub-Hop - Wednesday evening trail ride before Halloween, weather permitting.
During regular Wednesday evening ride time. 5:45 meet at Depot Market. Trail bike/lights. Make sure your costume won't obscure your vision or bike operation during the ride! Rain probably cancels -- if it rains we'll adjourn to the pub early and talk about riding.
Details every October.
The MBBC often puts on a Thanksgiving Ride: "ride in the morning to justify that extra piece of pie at dinner."
The Thanksgiving Ride usually begins at Cornwall Park at 10am and is a quick jaunt to Ferndale or Lynden and back. Watch for details every November.
Lighted Neighborhoods Ride - Last Wednesday before Christmas
We like to have some sort of Festive and Fun Lighted Night Ride to spread some cheer together via two wheels, listen to Holiday tunes and see some great decorative yard lights. Get your lights on, decorate yourself and/or your bike and be jolly with MBBC! Check each year, but we usually ride on the Wednesday the week before Christmas, starting at 6pm at the regular Wednesday Night Ride starting place: Depot Market parking lot across the street from Boundary Bay Brewery/Bistro.
New Year's Day Ride - every January 1st
Pedal in the new year. Meet at 10 am at Fairhaven Park on Thurssday, January 1, 2015! The group will depart before 10:30 am for The Old Edison Inn where owners John and Lynn will be expecting us, rain or... less rain. We can leave our bicycles in the beer garden and enjoy the warmth inside.
Nobody will be left behind on this group ride. We pedal only 13.8 miles along Chuckanut Drive (assuming it is mudslide free)! Return the same way or via Colony Road and Lake Samish, or even Bow Hill Road and Old Highway 99.
Each year this ride attracts more and more participants, regardless of weather. Start your new year off right! The ride is coordinated by Mark Wheatley. MarkWheatley at msn.com with questions.
Presidents' Day Ride
The annual MBBC President’s Day ride starts at Cornwall Park at 10am. We will meet by the shelters near the Meridian entrance at 10am, with the ride leaving at 10:15am. If it’s a nice day we will ride to Lynden and back. If the weather is not so nice, we will do a round trip to Ferndale. There will, of course, be a coffee-shop stop at the turnaround point. Mileage will be 25 or 50 miles, depending on the route. Pace will be moderate to brisk, and snow or ice will cancel.
In 2014 the MBBC put on additional special rides, including Lopez Island. In 2013 we rode The Fall Fling which was a choice of mountain or road route under the colored leaves in Anacortes, Orcas Island Ride which included the option to climb Mt. Constitution, Halloween Costumed Brewery-Tour (self-explanatory), and a President's Day Ride. Watch for incidental special club rides throughout the year, and if you have an idea and want to set up your own ride, the MBBC will support you! Contact the Ride Coordinator for details.
Chuckanut Century is the second Sunday after Labor Day every year.
The Chuckanut Century Bicycle Ride is presented by the Mount Baker Bicycle Club as our signature ride. For more information, including directions, maps, and entry form, please visit our Chuckanut Century Website.
MBBC Ride Waiver must be signed by all riders before any club ride: View Ride Waiver here.