Rides Page: Weekly rides, ride events, and Club Rides
Check the newsletter every month (calendar on p. 2-3 and p. 8) for additions to the rides schedule.
At the beginning of every year, the February Newsletter features the master-schedule for rides and events on p. 4-5.
Local Bike Routes
A set of Trail Maps is also available on the City site. Some trails are open to bicycles; make sure to note the Share the Trails Guidelines document.
Special MBBC Club Rides
Club Challenge-Yourself Ride: Bill's Hills - Every June!
Ride the Hills with Bill! Beginning in 2010, a group of intrepid
morons early-season riders tested how well their overwinter legs did by challenging themselves with this ride.
This is a challenging ride with lots of hills in and around Bellingham. There are 3 loops, each covering 30 - 40 miles with 3000 to 4000 feet of elevation gain per loop.
This ride is the MBBC's way of inviting new people to join the club - by jumping into the deep end! Join or update (renew) your club membership and come on out in June for a day of camaraderie (and jump-start your summer training... if you survive!) Thanks to Bill McCourt for architecting the pain. The 2013 Bill's Hills Ride is set for June 9th, 2013. Meet at 6:45 am at Marine Park in Fairhaven.
All are welcome on weekly rides. Read the ride descriptions below and contact the ride leader to determine if the ride is the right level for your ability. Check for seasonal start times and also make sure of the ride schedule in the winter. Some rides go in summer only, many go all year round!
On winter and rainy rides, please do everyone a favor and put fenders on! Also: be careful around corners and watch for icy patches.
Riders under age 18 are asked to contact the ride leader before your first ride. A parent must accompany you to your first ride start to sign a parental consent waiver.
MBBC Weekly Rides
MBBC Weekly Club Rides are led by MBBC Club Ride Leaders, are sponsored and insured by the club, and are open to everyone to check out the ride. We ask after riding your first ride that you decide whether you'd like to continue riding with the club, and if so, please join! See our membership page for more about MBBC membership.
- Tuesday Evening Summer Ride (Ramp-Up throughout the summer): Tuesday evenings, meet at 5:45pm, ride starts at 6:00pm April through mid-September. Meet @ Whidbey Island Bank, corner of Bakerview/Northwest. This ride begins in April every year as a warm-up ride to introduce people to the skills of group riding. As summer progresses, it splits into a faster, experienced group (speeds of 18+ mph) as well as a medium speed group (15-17 mph, that will sometimes stop to discuss the skills of group riding, with Doug coaching). An easy-paced group of anywhere from 10-12 mph will ride some weeks, as well as a steady-paced group of 12-14 mph. We use the same 20-mile loop route every week, with shortcuts for those who want to ride a little less. Everyone's invited to have a beer or dinner afterward at any of several watering holes. Contact: ridecoordinator at mtbakerbikeclub.org, 360-410-6431
- Wednesday Group Ride: Race/Training Pace, 30 mile distance, meet at 5:45 pm, leave at 6pm from Boundary Bay Brewery at Railroad Avenue. Ride separates into fast (18+ mph) and very fast (22+ mph) groups. A moderate group of 16-18mph pace leaves a little before 6pm. From late-September through March this is a night trail ride with lights. Re-group at brewery afterward (7:30 pm). Contact: ridecoordinator at mtbakerbikeclub.org, 360-410-6431
- Thursday Going Up The County Ride starts from Immanuel Lutheran Church parking lot. This is a half mile north on Lawrence from Nugent's Corner (Lawrence - Hwy 9 - the Mt Baker Hwy). This county ride should be convenient for our members in Deming, Nooksack, Everson... as well as those from surrounding points who want to come out. ~20 miles, 14-17 mph pace, route varies. 6 pm start time. For additional info: John Okan, Jokan001 at Luthersem.edu or 360-393-2435. This NEW IN 2013 Ride began on May 2nd.
- every-other-Sunday The Long Slog Ride starts at 9am from Boulevard Park, near the bike racks behind Woods Coffee. The ride begins in 2013 on June 16, then runs every other Sunday through September. We'll do a 12-14 mph pace,and cover 40-50 miles on the June rides, increasing to 70-80 miles by September. This is a group ride for slower riders who want to build strength and endurance. This may sound like a “social” pace but we’ll be pushing ourselves with some hills and sprints, and will aim to keep at the same pace even as our mileage gets longer and longer. We'll make water stops and re-group-ups approx every 10 miles. Route maps will be handed out at the start. Bring an energy bar(s) and/or drink to sustain you through a long day, plus money for coffeeshop stop during or after the ride. For additional info: Jennifer Longstaff, mbbcnewsletter at mtbakerbikeclub.org. This NEW IN 2013 Ride begins on June 16, and continues on dates: June 16, 30; July 14, 28; August 11, 25 (on 8/25 we’ll do the Woods2Woods Ride); September 8, 22.
Other Weekly Rides
These are weekly rides not sponsored nor insured by the MBBC, but also open to everyone to try out. For more information, contact ride leaders: names listed under each ride.
- Sunday Fairhaven "Rabbit Ride" is back on Summer Time in 2013! Start time 8am, Sundays. Starts at Fairhaven Bike & Ski. 32 mile route down Chuckanut and back via Lake Samish. Small groups of similarly-paced riders begin leaving at 8am (8:30 in winter) and faster groups leave every 5 minutes thereafter. Fastest riders will leave about 8:30am (9am in winter). When a faster group passes yours, you have the opportunity to try to jump on a wheel and hang on, or stay with your group. This is intended to be a fitness ride and you're encouraged to push yourself. This ride is organized by John Hauter; check with John to get on the mailing list for updates and ride schedules. For more information, contact John Hauter at Fairhaven Bike & Ski. 360-733-4433 or johnh at fairhavenbike.com
- Sunday Edison Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time, weather may cancel in winter. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-527-8638
- Tuesday North-Side Social Ride: starts from Pioneer Park in Ferndale, 30-40 miles, 13-16 mph route varies. 10am start time, may be altered by weather in winter. The route is chosen based on where the riders want to regroup for lunch. To check start time and for other information, contact: Robert Parker, email rmp4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
- Tuesday Hot Laps Ride: 30-40 miles, race pace. Training ride departs from Kulshan Cycles at 6pm to a practice road race course. Summer months only. Check at Kulshan for when the ride will start up every spring.
- Thursday South-Side Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-527-8638. Check for winter ride times and schedule.
- Saturday Donut Ride: 25 to 50 miles, race pace, departs from Kulshan Cycles, 7:30 am October through February, and 7 am March through September. Goes to Ferndale and return, or if you wish continue to Birch Bay and return. Get your weekend miles behind you before most people get out of bed on Saturday! This ride has been a Bellingham tradition forever. Every week of the year!!
- Saturday Recumbent Ride: Everyone is welcome to come out and ride with the recumbents - even you upright riders. Second Saturday of the month at 10 am. 14 mile intown course begins at Kulshan Cycles. This is a very relaxed social ride (avg 10 mph) with a lunch stop. An excellent ride for families or people new to cycling: this group likes to meet and mentor new people! All year, but may cancel depending on weather. More Info: Robert Parker, email: rmp-4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
- everybodyBike Community Rides: Check www.everybodyBike.com/calendar/ for listings. The Summer Rides, which are easy, guided social rides of about 7 miles, start for 2013 on May 5 and go every other Sunday, 1-3, through August 2013.
- Woods Giant Redwood Challenge Summer Ride: August 25, 2013. The finale to the everybodyBike Summer Series, but this ride isn't an easy social ride. If you choose the challenge, you'll ride your own self-guided tour to all 14 Woods Coffee locations in Whatcom County, for a total of 60-70 miles. More Information about this caffeine-fueled tour is here!
2013 Chuckanut Century is scheduled for September 15, 2013.
The Chuckanut Century Bicycle Ride is presented by the Mount Baker Bicycle Club as our signature ride. For more information, including directions, maps, and entry form, please visit our Chuckanut Century Website.