Welcome to the Mount Baker Bicycle Club!
We are a club of bicycle enthusiasts: roadies, racers, commuters, cruisers, tandemers, recreational riders, mountain bikers, cyclocrossers, recumbent-riders, fitness lovers, advocates... We are located in Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington - in the northwestern corner of the state. Come ride with us!
March 23: Bike Shelter Dedication and Memorial Ride
A ride will be held in memory of our departed friends Mike Ratayczak and Bob Lindquist, and for the dedication of the new school bike shelters that have been sponsored by the MBBC.
The ride has been RESCHEDULED for the afternoon of March 23. Due to a conflict with Jessie racing in the NW Collegiate Trials that morning, we're moving the memorial ride to the afternoon. CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS, but SAVE YOUR AFTERNOON on March 23. MBBC will provide flowers that we will take graveside to Greenacres at 5700 Northwest Avenue (Northwest and Axton). Next, we will place a plaque on one of the three shelters at Bellingham High School thanking everyone who made them possible, including Mike. Bob Lindquist will be memorialized on the new shelters being planned for Whatcom Middle School.
Yes, it's still Winter!
How about that February snowfall we got in Bellingham! And more in the forecast for the first of March! But spring is coming along right behind, have faith!
The March 2014 MBBC Newsletter is available on the Newsletters page.
- Re-Sources presents Bike Travelogue Slideshow Series; the last show in the 2014 series is on March 19 at 7pm at the Old Federal Building, 104 West Magnolia. Follow the Ecker Family as they travel around scenic Crater Lake. They’ll share the beautiful scenes and the practical tips for how to make cycling with kids fun and feasible. Next, the legendary Jim LeGalley will showcase his epic solo bike tour across Colorado, Wyoming and beyond. Information: Riley Grant at ReSources, 733-8307
- Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition: Winter Trail Days schedule is out. Next up: March 15 trail days.
- We will be carpooling down to the start of the McClinchy Mile Ride on March 15th.
- Trail building parties sponsored by the City of Bellingham Parks Department. Many opportunities to help.
- Bike Maintenance Classes at REI throughout March and the following spring and summer months.
- See the newsletter and Rides Page for more, including a memorial ride for Mike and dedication of Bellingham High School bike shelters on March 23.
- Ride Leader Training: March 24 (see below).
MBBC Ride Leader Training, March 24, 2014
With spring upon us and summer right behind, we all enjoy riding together with friends in groups. There are skills involved in safely leading a group of riders, and in the interest of promoting new and safe group rides around Whatcom County, the MBBC is offering its 2014 Ride Leader Training Course on March 24th, 5:30-8:30 pm at the Connections Building of the Downtown Community Food Co-Op (1220 N Forest St, Bellingham). The training is free and open to MBBC members as well as members of the local cycling community. Training will cover issues including safety in groups and safe riding skills on the road, assisting riders with mechanical issues, leading and sweeping, familiarity with the route, choosing an appropriate route and pace, how to handle accidents, and many more responsibilities that riders may not be aware their leaders are prepared to do!
Additions from last year’s training: 2014 training will also cover how to lead night rides and mountain bike rides. It will also include a brief course on emergency first aid (presented by a qualified Ski Patrolman who is also an accomplished racer in various sports). Attendees will be provided with a Ride Leader Guidebook, and the MBBC will also provide pizza and beverages. The class is limited to the first 35 people to sign up. To reserve your spot and/or if you have questions, contact MBBC President Marie Kimball: bikebham@yahoo. com or 360 927-2332.
The 2014 Chuckanut Century will be Sunday, September 14 2014!
The Chuckanut Century is the club's signature ride.
This ride has several options; choose from well-supported routes of 25, 38, 50, 62, 100 and 124 miles, with classic sights including Birch Bay and Chuckanut Drive!
The ride is held the second Sunday after Labor Day, and the 2013 ride was on a foggy, yet dry and warm, day. We hope you'll be back for CC 2014!
See details on our Chuckanut Century website.
Northwest Tandem Rally will be in Bellingham, July 2-6 2015
The 29th Northwest Tandem Rally event will be presented by the Mount Baker Bicycle Club on July 2-6, 2015. For more information, please visit the NWTR/2015 website.
In Memorium: Michael Gene Ratayczak
The MBBC remembers our departed friend, club member, ride leader, and all-around great guy Mike Ratayczak, who unexpectedly left us on March 15, 2013. We will join together in a memorial ride for Mike and will also remember our friend Bob Lindquist, during the weekend of March 22-23 2014,
as well as a dedication of local bike shelters to them.