Welcome to the Mount Baker Bicycle Club!
We are a club of bicycle enthusiasts: roadies, racers, commuters, cruisers, recreational riders, mountain bikers, cyclocrossers, fitness lovers, advocates... We are located in Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington - in the northwestern corner of the state. Come ride with us!
Lighted Neighborhoods Ride - December 18, 6pm
We are working on a Festive and Fun Lighted Night Ride to spread some cheer together via two wheels, listen to Holiday tunes and see some great decorative yard lights. Get your lights on, decorate yourself and/or your bike and be jolly with MBBC! December 18, starting at 6pm at the regular
Wednesday Night Ride starting place: Depot Market parking lot across the street from Boundary Bay Brewery/Bistro.
New Year's Day Ride - January 1, 2014; 10am
Pedal in the new year. Meet at 10 am at Fairhaven Park on Wednesday, January 1, 2014! The group will depart before 10:30 am for The Old Edison Inn where owners John and Lynn will be expecting us, rain or... less rain. We can leave our bicycles in the beer garden and enjoy the warmth inside.
Nobody will be left behind on this group ride. We pedal only 13.8 miles along Chuckanut Drive (assuming it is mudslide free)! Return the same way or via Colony Road and Lake Samish, or even Bow Hill Road and Old Highway 99.
Each year this ride attracts more and more participants, regardless of weather. Start your new year off right! The ride is coordinated by Mark Wheatley. MarkWheatley at msn.com with questions.
Here comes Winter!
The October/November MBBC Newsletter is available on the Newsletters page. December/January newsletter will be out in early December.
Upcoming Winter events:
- MBBC Lighted Neighborhoods Ride - Wednesday December 18th, 6pm from Depot Market. See announcement above.
- MBBC New Year's Day Ride - Wednesday January 1st, 10am from Fairhaven Park. See announcement above.
- Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition: Winter Trail Days schedule is out. Next up: December 15th and January 18th trail days.
- Cyclocross Season! See details of Bellingham/WhatcomCounty's own 'Cross series on the Cascade Cross website. Zombie-XmasCross on December 14th and Chiller Cross on January 11th. Bring on the (frozen?) mud!
- Weekly Rides are still going on, with many having changed from summer to winter formats and schedules as days get shorter and the rains roll in. We will keep riding overwinter though, so don't even think about hanging up that bike.
- Trail building parties sponsored by the City of Bellingham Parks Department. Many opportunities to help.
- See the newsletter and Rides Page for more, including the Tour of Lighted Neighborhoods Ride (Dec 18), Superhero Lighted Bike Parade (Dec 6), New Years Day Ride (Jan 1) ... and more announcements to come!
The 2014 Chuckanut Century will be Sunday, September 14 2014!
The Chuckanut Century is the club's signature ride.
This ride has several options; choose from well-supported routes of 25, 38, 50, 62, 100 and 124 miles, with classic sights including Birch Bay and Chuckanut Drive!
The ride is held the second Sunday after Labor Day, and the 2013 ride was on a foggy, yet dry and warm, day. We hope you'll be back for CC 2014!
See details on our Chuckanut Century website.
If you rode the 2013 Chuckanut Century, check out your photo on the Hovde Productions website.
In Memorium: Michael Gene Ratayczak
The MBBC is devastated to report that our beloved friend, club member, ride leader, and all-around great guy Mike Ratayczak passed away on March 15, 2013. We offer our condolences to his wife Sherry, his son Neaven who carries on his
cycling talents, and his many many friends.
[12/18/2013] MBBC Lighted Neighborhoods Ride is on December 18 - see information at left.
[1/1/2014] MBBC New Year's Day Ride is January 1st, 2014. See details at left.
[11/1/2013] Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition: Winter Trail Days schedule is out.
[10/7/2013] October/November 2013 newsletter is up. Newsletter Page
[10/1/2013] Cyclocross events overwinter: See Cascade Cross Website
[9/17/2013] Chuckanut Century Photos on Hovde Productions.